Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking forward to January?

Yes!  This is the 2nd time I'm spending January in Berlin doing research.  This city is ridiculously overcast and ugly in January, no changing that at all.  Me & my holiday blubber need to get to the gym.  While riding the bus yesterday I was reading my Kindle and all of the sudden got a huge wave of motion sickness.  I had to get off the bus ASAP, and promptly vomited on the sidewalk.  A passing lady asked if I was ok first, and then promptly asked if I was pregnant.  WHAT?  Seriously?  Because that's the only reason a woman of reproducing age ever vomits don't you know!  ROTFL!  Nope, not pregnant as far as I know, wouldn't that be a fun little wrench in my fieldwork though.  :-) 

Here's a short list of things I'm looking forward to this month:

1. Annika's going to school!  Who wants their 3 year old to get immersed in a preschool environment and stop asking every day when she can go to school?  WE DO!  Andy went to ask about a spot for her at the nearest preschool, and it turns out that they have one!  It's only 2 blocks away, and she can go there every day for 4-5 hours for so cheap it makes me not want to ever leave Germany!  We go tomorrow to fill out some paperwork and get a grand tour of the place, and I'm soo excited I could scream!!

2. Green Week in Berlin.  There is this amazing amazing exhibition that goes on in Berlin every January.  I went with my mother & a 7 month old Annika, and we barely saw 10% of it.  I can't wait to take the girls to this super amazing place full of animals, food, and soo much fun stuff to see!

3. Getting my butt to the gym!  Yes, I know it's really cliche to join the gym in January, but anyone who knows me knows that the best way to keep me happy is to keep me exercising.  The stress of fieldwork is currently causing me a horrendous amount of anxiety, and the best way I have figured out to get rid of my anxiety (besides throwing myself into my work) is to sweat it out.

4 In a very related note, I'm considering learning to climb, or at least going to a few sessions to check it out at this really cool gym in Neukoelln.  We'll see how it goes.  

What will you be doing in January?  

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...