Friday, June 15, 2012

As Seen in Berlin

As an American girl living in Berlin, some things just strike me as odd.  I've been taking pictures of these things as I encounter them, and I submit here several for your entertainment.

1. While shopping one day at a large mall with my good friend the Imitation European, we wandered into an Espirit store.  On the women's side we were especially struck by the decidedly nautical northern California theme they had going with the shirts that sported names of west coastal cities and such.  Nothing could have prepared us for what we found on the men's side of the store.
Espirit was selling the Stars and Bars as trendy T-shirts!!
 In white or gray.
These were certainly not the only incidences of the Stars and Bars around town, as I am sadly accustomed to seeing inappropriately adopted cultural symbols all over this city.  I think it really just struck me this time because Espirit tends to sell more classic preppy wear and not the overly trendy stuff.  Either way, we both found it ridiculous and made sure to take a picture.  Would they sell these in the USA?  At Espirit?  They certainly don't sell swastika t-shirts anywhere that I've found, and to me, the symbols hold similarly disgusting  ideals for their supporters.  You won't catch me ever wearing or buying either.

2. This next one I have seen several places around Berlin, typically at public transportation stops or hallways in the underground.
 The best part of this is that all of the little bits you can tear off at the bottom are actually just the lyrics of the song.  "Cause I wonder where you are, and I wonder what you do.  Are you somewhere feeling lonely, or is someone loving you?" etc.  This makes me smile every time I see it, and I LOVE that the people that put these up are completely anonymously making me giggle all over town.  Thanx!

3. Recently while in route somewhere, we stumbled upon this gem:
For you non-German speakers, this is a poster for the International Anarchist Meeting August 8-12, 2012 in Switzerland.  I'm mostly impressed by the organization of anarchists AND the fact that they're having their meeting in an extremely wealthy and expensive country.  Well played anarchists, well played.  I really wish I could go, not because I'm an anarchist, but because that would be some awesome people watching.  Alas, my research schedule will not allow it.

4. Last but not least, this is this newest Vita Cola advertisement plastered at several S-Bahn stops in route from one of my field sites to our house.

Roughly translated: "We're not everywhere, only where it's the most beautiful.  Your own style, your own cola."  If you look closely on the at little yellow sign, the bottom has "Amerika" crossed out and the top says "Schmalkalden." Schmalkalden is a tiny town smack in the center of Germany.  Apparently it's much more beautiful than America, though I'm not sure I'd agree it is a fair comparison.   

I'll keep my eyes peeled for further silliness around town, as always.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the random Lionel Ritchie poster and people with a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying to come up with an appropriate reply song in the same vein.

      Delete
  2. Hm, Interesting. I like that Lionel Ritchie's part though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still see this around the city sometimes.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...