Sunday, September 2, 2012

So long, and thanks for all the currywurst...

Hi everyone, AMelch here. I promise Mama Melch will be back next time.

Well, my time in Berlin is winding down. As some of you may know, I have found employment stateside and will be returning a bit earlier than was planned. This post isn't about all of that; if you are interested in hearing about it....call me, I don't do facebook.

This post is a quick reflection for me about the amazing time I have had here. I am actually going to limit the post to reviewing the last few weeks since that alone explains just how much there was to do, see, and experience. I'm sorry I don't have pictures of everything, and I'm sure this will not be as amazing as Mama Melch's posts (or as grammatically correct) so please lower your expectations before reading any further.

Note: for most of the entries, titles have been linked to either photo albums or related web links.

The Berlin International Bierfestival
Sorry no pictures for this event (I was drinking beer and enjoying the company of some friends from Cleveland), just a link to the webpage. What can I say hundreds of different types of beers stretching down 2km of Karl-Marx Allee.

Day trip to Krumme Lanke with the girls
It was a warm day in August so the girls and I decided to bike out to a nearby lake and cool off. We found our own private beach for the afternoon.


Another gorgeous day outside so the girls and I just had to get out and enjoy it.  I tossed the girls in the bike trailer and we trekked out to Britzer Garten.  The girls hated every minute of it.

Mama Melch and I decided to take the girls on an extended trailer adventure one Sunday.  Joining us were our Bike-Trailer-Adventure friends and their two daughters.  We headed down to Grossbeeren and stopped to swim and hang out at Wakeboard-Grossbeeren.  MM graciously offered to hang out with the girls at the beach while I went and water skied for an hour.  After a few hours there, we loaded back up and were on our way.  The next stop was a bier garten and playground in Diedersdorf. This was one great family day out.

The long night of Museums is an awesome bi-annual event put on in the city of Berlin.  Most of the museums in the city are open until 2am and the city runs shuttle service to all of them.  For the modest cost of 18 euros (12 euros for students), you can access any of the participating museums between the hours of 6pm and 2am as well as take advantage of the shuttles.  Since all of our babysitters had returned stateside, Mama Melch offered to stay home with the kids for the evening and told me to enjoy.  I managed to check out three really cool museums and enjoyed myself immensely.  
  1.  The Computer Spiele Museum was my first stop.  This museum is basically a history of video games; it contains many vintage games that are playable as well as many other interactive exhibits.  What guy wouldn't like this?
  2. The Gedenkstätte Berlin-Hohenschönhausen was up next.  I took a tour of this old stasi prison/interrogation center.  Not the most uplifting of subjects but the tour was excellent and very interesting.
  3. I finished the evening at the Museum für Film und Fernsehen.  The layout of the museum offered amazing visuals.  Even though it mainly focused on German film and television, I still managed to find quite a bit of familiar works and had a great time.  
Now you may be asking yourself, "Is that all??" 

No!  I managed to play football twice a week as well as squeezing in the viewing of an occasional football match with friends at the pub. 
(Editor's Note: For our American readers, he's talking about soccer here. -MM)

Please hold the pity comments on the post.  I know, I know it's been a rough year.  

Thanks go out to my gorgeous wife whose hard work enabled me to take the year off and enjoy spending time with our beautiful daughters and this amazing city.

So long Berlin and thanks for all the currywurst! oh....those Döner are pretty tasty too!

4 comments:

  1. Huhu....... Great post....even for you. ;)
    Good to hear that you had an amazing time in Germany.
    I really enjoyed having you amd your family at our house. It was great to know you better. " I''m freaking loving it!" hahaha
    I wish you all the best for your next challenge.
    I hope we will see us some day again when we are wise and old.
    Cheers,
    Your friend from Bremen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your kids are still recovering from the trauma we inflicted on your house when we were there. We're so lucky to have OLD friends like you! Already looking forward to the next time we get to hang out, whenever that will be.

      Delete
  2. Well done, for an amateur, hahhah. Thank you all for taking time to entertain and enlighten us all. - Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course of course Uncle Bob. Hugs are coming your way soon.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...