Monday, October 22, 2012

Toto, I don't think we're in Berlin anymore.

Ok, so we didn't move back to Kansas...but I'll take any chance I can to reference my favorite movie.

If you know me, then you know that I flew home awaiting news on a job in Chicago that I really really really really really wanted.  I didn't get it.  (I had big dreams of moving close to one of my favorite bloggers and becoming real life BFFs <sigh>.)  I found out on a Monday afternoon that I didn't get it, and that Wednesday we were signing our lease and moving the first of our stuff into our new apartment here.  

We're back home again in Indiana, which is a new experience all together for us as well.  While we did move back to my husband's hometown, we have never lived here as a family.  So after an entire year abroad away from almost everyone and everything we knew, we're now living closer to my husband's half of the family than we have ever been.  Adjusting to having family around all the time should not be a problem; I've been craving more extended family time for at least the past 5 years.  We're adjusting to reverse culture shock from Berlin to the USA, and an extra added bonus shock of "holy crap we're not living in a city anymore!"  I think Andy put it best when he said that we were moving from a place where we had to choose between a myriad of fun things to do every weekend to a place where we have to really seek out our own fun most of the time.  So far, finding fun hasn't been an issue, especially since we came home just in time for hay ride/pumpkin patch/corn maze season.

I'm already gathering stories.
Here are 3 Short ones for your laughing pleasure:

1. While chatting with a delivery man at my mother-in-laws house one day, I mentioned that I was jet-lagged.  He turned to me and said (in a VERY thick southern-ish accent), "Aww yeah, me and my buddies was real jet-lagged this one time when we took a 5 day trip to Vegas.  Whew, I liked to've never slept enough after that."  Yeah dude, totally the same.

2.  When the guys came to install our internet, I mentioned to the guy that we'd just moved here from Berlin. He asked, "Like Berlin, Indiana?"
I said, "No, no, like Berlin, Germany."
He said, "Oh WOW.  I've never been out of the country, but I'd sure like to go.  Well, we been to Florida once, so that's kinda like another country."
--Funny enough, I actually agree with him a little bit on this point, though I'm pretty sure we weren't thinking of the same reasons.

3.  I went to Target recently to purchase some plastic plates and bowls for the girls.  While standing in the aisle staring at the selection available, I almost had a full-on stomping meltdown when every single style available was completely and utterly gendered.  There were pink owls, blue monkeys, princesses, cars, etc ad nauseous (editor's note: intentional misspelling).  Why why WHY must the stupid plastic plates be GENDERED?!?!?!  I don't get it.  Of course, we went with sets of both owls AND monkeys, but seriously, who thinks that we need to be reinforcing gender stereotypes on our dinner plates?  I had a similar problem picking out band-aids, and ended up going with clear ones.  I'm thinking this might be a ridiculous social scientist thing, but I was NOT leaving that store with princess band-aids!

So we're slowly but surely making our way into a life here in Indiana, and I think things are going to be great once we get everything all set up and aren't living in boxes anymore.  I'm going to attempt to NOT turn into that lady who always talks about how much better things are in Europe, while at the same time forcing my kids to speak German at home with me.  It should be fun.  Stick around as our journey continues.



7 comments:

  1. Stupid Chicago employer!! Who wouldn't hire the genius that is you??? Gimme names. I'll take care of it.

    But in all fairness, October in Indiana can be nice. We've got friends in Lowell and every time we visit, I just crave that kind of space and wide open feel. Plus, no alley rats.

    Here's to more grand adventures soon - no matter where you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that your first reaction is to go all Chicago gangsta. Thanks for the condolences, but I'll probably get my dissertation done faster here anyway.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to hear there rest of your stories as they happen!(and sorry about Chicago) The "living closer to the in-laws than ever before" thing happened to me when we moved 12 years ago to our current city. I hope that aspect goes well for you! For me there are bad things about it...and other things about it. I hope you actually get good things out of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it has been AWESOME. We had a free place to stay when we arrived and were still waiting to hear news about our future. Annika is already in the best preschool in town because of the fast thinking of my smart MIL. We're pretty lucky and VERY thankful to have such a supportive family.

      Delete
  3. psst - can you drop me an email at mostlymarianne@gmail.com? I've got a quick question for you. I promise it has nothing to do with taking out anyone's kneecaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Welcome home, Hillary!
    I like your rant about gendered plates, band-aids and EVERYTHING. UGH!!
    You're awesome.
    I miss you.
    I hope you come to Cleveland soon, and that we can see each other on said visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No YOU'RE awesome Sarah!! I miss you too, and promise to keep you in the loop when we make an appearance in the CLE. Xoxoxo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...