Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dating a 4 year old

Sometimes we like to take the girls to do special one-on-one dates.  I am always on the look-out for things that they will like to do and that would be fun for us to do together.  When the local roller derby team announced that there was to be a toy-drive at a skating rink, I knew Annika would LOVE it.  I do try to take her to do physically active things, since she is such an energetic child.  I tried to capture the time in pictures, but most of them came out blurry.  For posterity sake...here was our date.  

Before we went to the skating rink, I took Annika to pick out a toy to donate.  She picked out a toy helicopter with a doggy pilot that I'm sure some kid is going to LOVE getting.  We placed our toys in the bins as we arrived and headed over to get our rental skates.  She was already jumping for joy when she saw the rink and all the games to play.  

This is Annika the first time she stood up in roller skates.     

It didn't take long for her to fall down, but being the feisty thing that she is, she persevered all the way around the rink twice before she gave up and asked me to get her a skate walker.  


Once she got the walker, she really started to catch on, and was happy to watch me skate backward and do circles with her.  By the end of our time there, she could actually go around the rink all by herself.  


Naturally, we had to take a slushy break in the middle of all the action.  

We had a great time and a whole bunch of toys were collected for kids in need.  

P.S. I've been contemplating doing roller derby for a while now.  If I get the skates, I think I could at least practice with them to see if I like it.  I know I would be Annika's HERO, and for that alone the bruises would be worth it.  What do you think?  

3 comments:

  1. Concussion Bad for your beautiful brain, but then that is my fear talking. RED BULL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still HAVE roller derby???

    It's like 1979 all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne: http://www.windycityrollers.com/

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...