Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving-Eve

Today is the day before my very favorite of favoritest holidays: Thanksgiving.  I LOVE Thanksgiving for soo many reasons that are not at all original, but this year is a little different.  A short list of things I am unusually grateful for this year:

1. Readily available pumpkins/squash in assorted varieties.
2. Pie and all the easy to find stuff that goes into making them--like pans!
3. Fairly inexpensive pecans.
4. Turkeys--even though I don't even eat them.
5. Being able to eat with our family in the room, and not just on Skype.

Last year, we had to search high and low for pumpkins all over Berlin.  We found only one type, that had been imported from Japan.  Same for the Turkey.  Andy finally found one, but it was tiny compared to our huge 20 pound ones here in the USA.  Soo not the same.

Last year, Andy actually made a pecan pie in a 12" pizza pan.  It was scrumptious, but never thought we'd get to the end of that huge thing.

Finally, last year was great because we did actually get to take the whole entire day off to spend it with just our family, but it just isn't the same when everyone isn't in on all the celebrating.  We certainly did our share of German celebrating too over the course of the year, but nothing measured up to my high holiday expectations for Thanksgiving.

This year we will be celebrating here in our new-old hometown surrounded by family and friends.  I'm starting the day off by running a 5K with my awesome-sauce sister-in-law.  She just ran her first marathon last month, so I'm really hoping I can keep up with her for the 3.1 miles.  We'll see.  After the race, we'll drop Andy off at his Turkey Bowl football game with a group of his high school friends.  Here's hoping neither of us gets injured, as the rest of our day will be spent hanging out with family at Andy's parents house.  I've already made the pumpkin cheesecake we're bringing.  YUM!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.  Wherever you might be, I'm sure you can find something to be thankful for too.

P.S. I'm totally obsessing over the Pinterest right now, and it is all Corinne's fault!  In case you want to follow me over there: http://pinterest.com/mamamelch/

P.P.S. Baby Mayzie feeding a gnome.


You're welcome.  

P.P.S. My friend recently informed me that I sometimes remind her of this girl and I've been too busy laughing to be offended.  

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! May your first one back be extra special and pumpkin-pie filled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, & pumpkin cookies were scrumptious, but being surrounded by family made it extra special for sure.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...