Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Labor's a...

"Labor's a bitch, but you can do this. You're almost there. Look at my face. Now when you feel those muscles start contracting, work with your body and push. Go with it." The midwife's words were soothing, but I was still worried. I had heard them discussing meconium and I wanted to get the baby out as soon as possible.

I couldn't make a sound, I just pushed.

"Yes, that's right...Oh she's crowning, get the gloves," she yelled at the nurse.

 I pushed again. 

"Quick, hurry," she yelled louder and more frantically as the baby's whole head came out.

 I pushed again, and she exclaimed, "Oh Wow, she's here!"

 Later she thanked me saying, "I haven't caught a baby with my bare hands in years." I was just thankful it was all over. She congratulated me and told me I was really good at birthing babies saying, "The next one will be easy-peasy."

 I told her abruptly, "just because I'm good at something, doesn't mean I want to do it again."

And there was our Mayzie, all 8 pounds 9 ounces of her.  

This is my first link up to the Trifecta Writers' Challenge! 

24 comments:

  1. Labor IS a bitch, and I've done it twice. Though the second time was definitely easier (3 hours, 2 pushes!).

    Stopping by from Trifecta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! My 1st time was much harder than this second time too.

      Delete
  2. congrats on your "little" one - and welcome to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a blast from the past. Mayzie just started potty-training.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It definitely made me feel very empowered...and writing it was fun too. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I knew you could do it. :) Not the labor... the post. But the labor part is totally awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a great cheerleader! Thanx Jennifer!!

      Delete
  5. Very well written! Labor is a bitch, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the last line! I'm not sure why, but I love birth stories! Gratz on the challenge entry & the birth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it certainly was a memorable one.

      Delete
  7. Ha!ha!In spite of the hard labor,you gave the midwife a very spirited answer;-)loved it.And,welcome on board Trifecta-great entry:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily sass comes naturally to me, even when exhausted. Thanks for being part of the welcome committee. :-)

      Delete
  8. Certainly a good use of the word! And I love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 8.9!!! That is a bitch! Great job with the prompt. Welcome to the challenge!! And what a gorgeous baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to many more...writer's challenges that is.

      Delete
  10. Hello new Trifectan! :D

    Such a cute baby :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me feel so welcome. She's a really cute toddler too btw.

      Delete
  11. Ow. Ow. Ow.

    But definitely worth it, no?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...