Thursday, February 7, 2013

Inspired by Pinterest--A Mama Kat Writing Prompt

Pinterest inspires me to be creative, crafty, fit and funky and it is one of my current addictions.  A friend and I like to joke that we aren't sure how graduate students procrastinated before Facebook or Pinterest, and it is sad but true.  I had been keeping my addiction a bit of a secret, but then I started beginning all my sentences with the phrase, "well, I saw this cool thing on Pinterest."  The cat was out of the bag, and my mother in law started asking me about the site.  I described it to her on one condition, that she promised not to hate me when she got addicted too.  

You see, it was only natural that we should both become addicted.  We are a family of do-it-yourself crafty people who like to make pretty and practical things.  Thrifty is also in our blood, and I only half-jokingly say that I married my husband because he brakes for rummage sales.  As I mentioned before, we are on a tight budget this year.  We also just moved into a new-to-us apartment that is in serious need of some character.  My cousin's wife Corinne told me about all kinds of cool stuff on Pinterest and how much she likes it, and I finally decided to take the plunge.

It started with some recipes

I found some really great knitting projects, like the dinosaurs I made for Theresa.  

I then moved on to some gutter shelves,reading nook for the girls. 


Most recently, Andy installed these buckets in the girls' closets for more organized toy storage.  


My MIL, in comparison, has become a true devotee.  Every time I go to her house (which is at least once a week), she hands me something that she has made from scratch from Pinterest.  She made some great laundry soap, lotion, caramel, and even some super absorbent training pants for Mayzie.  She's pretty crafty like that.  I love how into Pinterest she is and how she doesn't actually blame me for enabling her addiction at all.  

I have one secret board on Pinterest that I'm saving up for one day soon.  I'm planning a trip to Berlin, and when I return, I'm going to chop my hair and donate it to Locks of Love again.  Before I go, my big plan is to make the board public and set up a link so that you can vote on which haircut I get.  I'll even let you add your own ideas too if you'd like.  It will be my hair, inspired by Pinterest. 

What do you think?  Is that an insanely brave or awesomely fun idea?  Would you vote?  


  
Mama’s Losin’ It

18 comments:

  1. Love the book shelves. I keep wanting to make those and then remembering that I live in an apartment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love making our cookie cutter apartment more our own. Trust me, the holes are not so big that you can't fill them when you move out.

      Delete
  2. That is a great idea on the bookshelves. I will have to keep that in mind since my kids have tons of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great way to get them to look at them more. Ours can't read yet, but soon.

      Delete
  3. It is awesome that Pinterest has inspired you to do so much! Normally it just inspires me to spend more time online pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have more pins than I will ever be able to do, and keep adding more every day.

      Delete
  4. I think the haircut idea is brilliant! It will no doubt turn out wonderfully. I am in and out with Pinterest. I'll get obsessed for a bit, then completely forget about it. I'm impressed that you are such an able crafter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen! I'll certainly want your opinion, though maybe not on my eyebrows. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for visiting, I have some great ideas pinned, but haven't put anything together yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had help implementing all of the big projects.

      Delete
  6. You did the gutter shelves!! I've seen that one a couple times and been so tempted. Then I think "aw a real person can't do that they're just trying to make you THINK it's easy..." but look at your real life pics! I love the well stated concept of "giving an apartment character." You're doing a fantastic job of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I must give Andy the real credit though. I find the ideas, and he puts in the work.

      Delete
  7. LOVE the voting thing! I'm not very crafty, so Pinterest baffles me. But good for you for doing Locks of Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just soo sick of my looong hair. I feel like 34 might be time for short hair for a while. I'll grow it back out again though. I'm always changing it up.

      Delete
  8. Those closet buckets are the cutest thing and SO AWESOME!! I pin 1000x more things than I'll ever make, but I love that you guys actually do it! (your MIL especially)

    I love your Locks of Love idea! What a wonderful organization to support and who doesn't want to vote for your hairstyle? I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the voting actually.

      Delete
  9. Pinterest is a true addiction in my household, but we never pull the trigger to actually create stuff we've seen on Pinterest (well, except for recipes...we do make a love of Pinterest food)! I love the bucket and shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that we just moved & are in need of major organization. Thanks for stopping by! I <3 new readers!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...