Thursday, March 14, 2013

6 Things I Never Learned in School

I've been in school a really really really long time now.
1 year of preschool.
1 year of kindergarten.
12 years to get all the way through high school.
9 years of undergraduate education, at 3 different institutions.
7 years of graduate school with (almost) 3 degrees.
There is a ridiculous amount of things I could write about that I've learned in school, but isn't it much more interesting to contemplate all the things I never learned in school?

Here are Andy & I at our college graduation...soo naive.
Here is my list:
1. Personal Finance--I'm still learning all about personal finance, but I know I would have been much better financially had I actually known anything at all about it earlier in my life.  I pretty much floated around barely making ends meet while having a great time out and about for most of my adult years until we got married.  I try not to think about how much money I wasted, but we're making up for it now.  Hopefully by the end of this year, we'll be getting things together enough to actually be grown up about all of our money.

2. Birthing Babies--I WISH I had learned something about birthing babies in school, and I'm completely serious about this.  I had no idea the intricacies and decisions that went into how to bring a baby out of a mother and into the world until I was pregnant.  I also had no idea how to care for a newborn until I had my own.  I probably could have learned something like this had I actually taken an Anatomy class in high school, but I could never fit it in my schedule between AP Biology and Band...Nerd Alert.  I definitely educated myself on this one later by reading far too many books for my own good.

3. Changing Car Tires--They honestly should teach this in driver's education classes.  My teacher was too busy taking walks smoke breaks when we stopped during practical lessons to show us anything about car maintenance.  Luckily, I have a great dad who would not let me drive a car without knowing how to change the tires in case of emergency.  He didn't want me to be some helpless girl on the side of the road.  Of course, the one time I got a flat tire in high school, I totally let some random kind stranger change my tire for me on the side of the road.

4. Navigating Social Media--I wish I could be better at this, though it didn't really exist when I was in high school.  Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when everyone had an AOL account and chatting had to wait until the modem stopped making all kinds of dial-up noises.  So I guess I'll give my HS a pass on this one.  I seem to be feeling it out on my own fairly well anyway.

5. Style--I still have none.  I wasn't expecting them to teach a style class, as that would be far too conforming for style creativity.  I really just wish I would have had the opportunity to learn anything about style and how to find my own.  34 feels like a really late age to actually start caring about these things.

6. Opinions Differ and that's ok.  Just because you come from similar circumstances and had all the same education, NEVER assume that someone has come to the same conclusions as you have.  This is so true for politics, relationships, and all manner of personal and professional interactions.  I WISH I would have learned this much earlier than I did. It could have seriously helped me understand to just stay away from some people.


Thanks Mama Kat, as always for making me think about things a little differently.  You rock!


Mama’s Losin’ It

17 comments:

  1. Brilliant, thoughtful post. You know, I grew up with a lot of "class room discussions" which SEEM like they're meant to encourage differing of opinion...but they're probably not. The teacher is always right and will subtly weigh the conversation in her own direction I guess. Human nature. And YES on personal finance. That stuff is so much more important than a second year of algebra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great teacher in high school who would constantly play devil's advocate, no matter the side of the argument. It was a hard realization for me to eventually come to that circumstances sometimes create opinion favors.

      Delete
  2. When I read that prompt I immediately thought about taking care of babies, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always WANTED to get a flour bag baby in school. I guess I took the wrong classes.

      Delete
  3. Personal finance tops my list, too. I wish Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program was required for high-schoolers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He should create a curriculum for parents to teach kids too.

      Delete
  4. This is a great list! personal finance in particular needs to be added to HS curriculum - maybe as a portion of a first-year math class or something. Everyone should know how to make a simple budget, understand how credit card interest works, etc.

    Social media stuff would be great, too (especially teaching young kids that anything they post or upload could come back to haunt them later!). Maybe something like "internet safety" for 10-11 year olds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the props! I know young kid brains are unable to process long term consequences of things, so that will be a really hard lesson to try to impart. Sadly, I think it is only going to get more difficult too.

      Delete
  5. I just finished a graduate degree one year ago and took a "new" class about personal branding. Before that, I thought FB was for playing Farmville. I bet there are continuing education courses on SoMe that you could take.

    Isn't it funny how teenagers think they know it all and it isn't until middle age(?) that we realize what we don't know? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I want to be 17 and know everything again!

      Delete
  6. Wow, almost everyone who wrote using this prompt mentioned something about a car.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!

    I agree, completely!

    Changing a tire? Would have come in handy two Friday's ago when I came out to find my left front tire on my Jeep was flat beyond repair due to a giant, gaping hole in it. Oh, and my husband was working late that night.

    Birthing a baby???? Yes, would have been nice if someone told me or prepared me for how to deal with a ten pound baby coming out of my vagina. ( yes, my firstborn of 3 was my most enormous of all, so, SURPRISE! to the then-22-year old me )

    Style? I actually have such little knowledge on this subject that I feel surely you are speaking a different language. :)

    But seriously? Go you with all that education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to be done with my formal education, but I'll certainly be a lifelong student anyway.

      Delete
  8. Nope, I didn't learn any of that in school either! (and, some of it I still don't understand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on most of them myself too! I did at least figure out the having babies thing.

      Delete
  9. If social media were around back when we were kids I have a feeling a lot of us might be deleting old regretful blog posts today. ;) It is hard to get the hang of though, especially considering how often everything changes!

    So glad you played along this week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...