Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Forward Surprises

I know every parent hates daylight savings time for the fact that it throws off an otherwise regular schedule.  I didn't mind when the kids slept in past 7am.  That happens so rarely as to warrant an almost never, and we feel like it is the most amazing gift from the universe when we actually are awakened by our internal clocks and not one of our two girls wiggling under our covers and trying to snuggle down as if we wouldn't notice their presence in our bed.  Then the evenings come, and we try to put the girls to bed when the clock says that it is time.  Of course, it went fairly well the first few days when we had sufficiently worn them out outside during the day.  Then came Monday.

Andy had a meeting for all the soccer coaches in the youth soccer league that Annika is going to be playing in this spring.  While he was gone, I put the girls to bed in the usual way.  One hour later, Annika was up for the fourth time and I was sick of climbing the stairs while reasoning with her that it was indeed bedtime and she needed to stay there.  I caved.  It was not my finest parenting moment, but it certainly produced some adorableness.  

"Mama, let's stick our tongues out."  

"Now make a silly face."  

"Look Mama, I'm upside down."  (and not tired at all!)

"I have another silly fish face for you." 

"No more pictures Mommy!" 

"I'm so glad Daddy's not here." 

"Let's take a serious one."

Shortly after this last one was taken, she scampered up the stairs because I told her that her dad would be home in five minutes.  I told her it would be our secret, but I totally caved when Andy came home.  I showed him the pictures and he just smiled that knowing smile.  He knew I loved every second of our "secret" time together and he was right.  

GFunkified

14 comments:

  1. Oh, those first bedtimes after the daylight savings switch can be rough. What a wonderful moment you shared because of it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relish our one on one moments for sure.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures! My kids are 11 and 15 and it seems like they handled the time switch better than I did. I still feel like a zombie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still staying up too late and getting up too early, though it probably has more to do with my anxiety than the switch.

      Delete
  3. What cute pictures! It's awesome getting to steal away "secret" time one on one with each kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Sometimes it is much needed too.

      Delete
  4. That last picture is not so serious. :D I love the "secret" one on one kid time, but this week, I was the one that couldn't go to sleep when I needed to. I think I'm still trying to catch up! (also, I've said it before, but she's adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was practically impossible to make a serious face after all that goofiness, as I'm sure you can imagine.

      Delete
  5. Secret time is so special - especially because it's usually unplanned awesomeness. My girls had a bit of trouble adjusting - and stayed up too late. But my boy never adjusted to the change in the fall, so he's back to sleeping better and at more normal times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your boy. Hopefully the girls get adjusted and you'll get some actual peace and quiet soon too. :-)

      Delete
  6. so cute! one on one kid time is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Great pics!

    I hate daylight savings...more for myself than my kids. They seem to have transitioned okay, except they are "awake" in their beds for that hour that doesn't exist. If that makes any sense.

    I, on the other hand, have lost the one hour of sleep that I had, and like many, am a zombie.

    Also, just wanted to mention how awesome it is that you can be so 'relaxed' with your child. With my first, I was so stringent and anxiety-ridden when his schedule changed or got interrupted. By the time I had my third, I was all like "schedule? what schedule?"

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...