Around this time a year ago, I wrote about 3 things:
1. Annika's new short haircut.
2. My friend Kate dealing with her son O's Autism Diagnosis.
3. Our best Berliner afternoon EVER.
1. We kinda ARE still dealing with Annika's short haircut. She's gotten it trimmed short several times now, but really wants to grow it back out. She's frustrated that it is taking so long and keeps telling me that girls have short hair. She told me recently that "girls have long hair." This totally breaks my heart by the way, and then forces me to list all the women we know with short hair. I'm also getting ready to cut my hair short, so maybe that's why this hits me extra hard at the moment. Everyone knows I hate everything being gendered, and I seriously hate that she is taking on these ridiculous gender stereo-types much to my chagrin. I suppose it was bound to happen at some point.
Here's what she looked like a year ago:
2. Kate is still dealing with all of the subsequent issues that come with having a kid with an autism diagnosis. She's writing more about her triumphs and struggles on her blog now, so you should totally go check her out and encourage her to share her experiences more. She's a crafty storyteller over at Pink Pancakes.
3. The Best Berliner Afternoon EVER still stands as one of the best afternoons of our entire lives. It was GREAT. We've had some great days since then in various spots, but I will always remember this afternoon.