Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Close to You

Annika will be 5 next month, and I already feel her pulling away a little more every day.  She's becoming more independent and asking for help less and less.  Cuddle time is shorter than ever before and I have to ask for goodbye kisses most days as she sprints out the door to go to preschool.  Her walk is more confident and her choices more calculated, which are both great things for the most part.  It doesn't pain me yet, but I see it coming miles down the road.  I relish every moment that she's still my little girl who wants to cuddle up on the couch and help me cook in the kitchen.

On Monday I came home from working after the girls were already in bed.
I walked in the door to find this:

Annika had placed her shoes inside of my shoes.  I love the smallness of the gesture and the adorable way she explained it to me the next morning.  She was so proud, and it made me smile both times.

Then I went upstairs to find this:
Annika had placed her toothbrush next to mine in the holder.  When I asked her why she said, "I just want to be close to you."  Me too love, me too.  

GFunkified

18 comments:

  1. How sweet! Isn't it wonderful to know that they still want that closeness with us, even as the grow more and more independent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a sweet girl. I just want to bottle it and save it for when she's a sassy teenager!

      Delete
  2. O..M..Geeeeeeee! I am not kidding...tears are running down my face. This is the sweetest and dearest thing I've ever seen. Oh, I just love it. *sniffle* -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears of joy are bittersweet, just like little ones growing up.

      Delete
  3. That is sooooo adorable. My little one will be 5 in September and for some reason it really bugs me this time around. Maybe because she's the youngest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, we still have a little-ish one around, though I did get a little teary when she started wearing underpants.

      Delete
  4. Oh, so sweet. She must have a really thoughtful heart. I just love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a sweety for sure. It mostly makes up for her high energy...mostly.

      Delete
  5. What a sweetheart and what sweet gestures!
    Makes me all teary-eyed...
    I love it when my kids show their affection for me without me forcing it on them, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the best? I need to think of something to do for her too. :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, that is the sweetest thing ever. The shoes?! I'm swooning over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! that is the sweetest thing ever! I really just chuckled out loud. I love the simpleness and kindness in these two small acts. You've got quite a girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely something special.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow... that is just beautiful and heart-wrenching at the same time. I wrote something similar once... about the poetic injustice of having them move away from you with each moment that passes, even as you want to hold them close, close, close forever. Such a sweet post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the exact reason I cried when she walked the first time. I want her to grow, but I don't want her to go away, and I already feel that pull. Heartbreaking and warming in the same instance.

      Delete
  9. So flipping sweet! My boys would never do this, but they do use my shirt when they sneeze. Sorta counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That totally counts! My girls come put their boogers in my pocket sometimes too, but I hope to forget this someday.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...